2017 Ordos Government Work Report
Updated: 2018-03-26 Print
1. Review of our work in 2016
A. The macroeconomy has registered stable performance with solid momentum for growth. GDP reached 441.79 billion yuan ($69.90 billion), representing an increase of 7.3 percent, and outpacing the national average. Several major economic indicators continued to remain first in the region, achieving stable and rapid growth at a high level.
B. The potential for economic development has been significantly enhanced. A number of major projects made significant progress, bolstered over the years with huge investments, with guided transformation and targeted upgrading also laying a solid foundation for the city’s industrial development.
C. The modern service industry has experienced a boom. A number of featured cultural and tourism projects were initiated, and several branded festival activities were successfully staged, for the first time pushing the number of tourists in the city above 10 million and earning Ordos recognition as a vibrant national demonstration zone of “creative tourism”. Additionally, large domestic logistics enterprises have settled in the area, aiding the rapid development of the logistics industry and causing the exponential growth of e-commerce transactions.
D. With the completion of the “Ten Full Coverage” program, the regional development environment has seen overall improvement. A decisive victory over poverty has been achieved, and Ordos was recognized as a demonstration area of China’s successful rural construction.
Insisting on using more than 80 percent of available financial resources for the protection of its people's livelihood, the social harmony and stability of Ordos were ensured. Key livelihood projects have been completed and the per capita disposable income of urban and rural permanent residents increased by 7.4 percent and 7.3 percent respectively.
2. Major areas of work for 2017
A. All efforts were made to maintain stable economic development. Innovations in investment and financing were introduced, and consumption and trade were expanded, with the aim of Ordos becoming the only national top 100 foreign trade city in this region.
B. Supply-side structural reform was accelerated, as was the renovation of shantytowns, with Ordos being identified as a real estate destocking pilot city by the Ministry of Housing and Urban-Rural Development. Policies and measures were introduced to support industrial and commercial enterprises’ efforts to reduce costs and increase efficiency. Implementation of the short-circuit board project series has significantly strengthened once weak links in the development of infrastructure and technological innovation.
C. Industrial transformation and upgading saw active promotion. The continuous optimization of industrial structures has caused the number of visiting tourists to rise by 19.9 percent and resident incomes by 22.7 percent. The city became a hot spot for domestic holiday resorts and leisure. The deposit balance exceeded 300 billion yuan ($47.47 billion) for the first time. The city was included among the first group of national pilot cities combining medical treatment and endowment. The animal husbandry industry’s annual output of grain and cattle stocks saw consecutive increases.
D. Reforms and innovations have been continually increased and accelerated. In its region, Ordos took the lead in compiling and publishing a list of its powers and responsibilities, promoting reform of the registration system and its “combining two certificates into one” and “combining five certificates into one” programs for individually owned businesses. Full implementation of the "single window" acceptance model has decreased the time spent by companies and residents by more than 80 percent, and the registered capital of major market players has increased by 150 percent. The addition of 13 new high-tech companies, and an 84.7 percent increase in received patent applications also show mass entrepreneurship and innovation flourishing.
E. Urban and rural areas are achieving harmonious development, while the pace of integration in the downtown area has accelerated. By deepening the reform of the household registration system, the urbanization rate of the permanent resident population has risen above 73 percent. Accelerated infrastructure construction has added 186 kilometers of high-grade highways, 3,570 km of roads in rural pastoral areas, and 114 km of railway operations.
F. Green development has seen significant improvement. By increasing ecological construction efforts, the city completed 97,000 hectares of forestry construction, 257,000 hectares of grassland construction), and brought soil erosion on 123,000 hectares of land under control. The forest coverage rate increased by 0.2 percent.
G. Livelihood protection has steadily improved. Some 28,600 newly created urban employment opportunities have helped bring the urban registered unemployment rate to a low level of 2.8 percent.
H. Social undertakings have developed rapidly. The rate of children enrolled in preschool increased to 96 percent. With a 69.4 percent undergraduate admissions rate, Ordos ranked second in the district. In the region, Ordos took the lead in promoting the reform of medical service prices, and medical bidding and procurement mechanisms. The two-child policy is now fully implemented. The “Ten Project” saw solid promotion and resulted in Ordos being listed by the Ministry of Culture as the nation's first pilot city for cultural consumption.
I. With the introduction of a plan for the prevention and control of local financial risks, 95 key enterprises facing difficulties received aid. The government considered its debt risk of great importance and sought government bond replacement funds of 64.18 billion yuan ($10.15 billion), an increase of 71.2 percent. Incidences of criminal and public security cases dropped by 16.8 percent and 3.7 percent respectively, and the region’s social security situation continued to see improvement.
J. Government self-improvement has been continuously strengthened with additional guarantees from officials to faithfully perform their duties according to the law, consciously accept the legal and work supervision of the Municipal People's Congress and its standing committee, and actively listen to the opinions of other parties. Reforms to the use of government cars in Party and government offices and public institutions were completed. Public expenses decreased by 7.6 percent and the establishment of anti-corruption measures brought positive results.
2. Major areas of work for 2017
We have set the following key projected targets for development this year:
- GDP growth of around 7.5 percent
- Increase of the added value of industrial enterprises above designated scale kept at 8.5 percent
- Growth of investment in fixed assets kept at 12 percent
- Increase of the budget revenue of public finances kept at 6 percent
- Increase of total retail sales of consumer goods kept at 10 percent
- Increases in personal income kept at 8 percent for urban residents and 8.5 percent for rural residents
3. Targets and tasks for 2017
Our main targets are:
A. Facilitate both supply and demand to lead the new normal economic development.
- Continued expansion of effective investment
- Continued improvements to supply-side structural reform and growth
- Positive realization of consumer potential
- Additional development of the non-public economy
B. Continuously optimize the industrial structure to achieve new breakthroughs in transformation and development.
- Improved quality and efficiency of traditional industries
- Promotion of stronger emerging industries
- Promotion of an integrated modern service industry
- Transformation and upgrading of the modern agriculture and animal husbandry industries
C. Comprehensively deepen reforms and innovations while nurturing new development momentum.
- Acceleration of the promotion of basic and key reforms
- Execute innovation-driven development strategy
- Continue expanding omni-directional opening-up
D. Comprehensively improve basic conditions and establish new patterns of coordinated development.
- Promotion of a new urbanization model focused on people
- Promotion of infrastructure networking connectivity
E. Uphold the concept of green development and create a new ecological standard for civilization.
- Focus on ecological protection
- Environmental management reform
- Use available resources at a higher level
F. Continue to protect and improve the livelihood of the people, and to share with them new achievements in social development.
- Consolidation of achievements in poverty alleviation
- Promotion of full employment and entrepreneurship
- Improve standards of social security
- Construction of a beautiful Ordos through the People's Satisfaction Education Project[MOU1]
- Vigorously undertake cultural and athletic endeavors
G. Innovate social governance methods for maintaining peace and stability.
- Continuous improvement to public safety
- Cultivation of a food-safe city
- Effective safeguarding of overall social stability
H. Strengthen the government's own construction and create a new business environment for officers.
- Fully commit to building a law-based government
- Fully commit to building an efficient government
- Fully commit to building a responsible government
- Fully commit to building an incorruptible government